2011年4月4日星期一

My Third Interview

Interview #3
04/03/2011
ENGL191
Interviewer: Shan Lu
Interviewee: Park, Junhyeon

Preparation of Interview
   
              
               My preparation for the third interview looks similar because I have finished preparing the entire fourteen questions in class. Before the interview, I have printed two pages of questions. One is for me, the other one is for interviewee. Although the handouts have been used for last interviewee, I didn’t write down anything on handouts and it still looks new. I started to review each question, and consider which two questions can be connected naturally because I want to seriate all questions that make interviewee feel comfortable to be asked. In addition, I estimate the time that to be used in interview. I thought the time of interview can’t be very short, so I need to prepare counter plan. I also prepared some another questions about personal life. Actually, my questions for the interview are full enough, and the time for the interview is to be calculated accurately.

a)    How did I approach people? When? Where?
    

            To carry out the second interview, I asked my friend who can introduce some friends from Korea for me. She invited a friend from face book. My friend called him that we are going to meet in library at 3:00 Sunday afternoon. Actually, this is supposed to be the first time that we meet, but I saw him in Hill Case sometime coincidently. Then, we chose a quite place on second floor to carry out the interview. This person who from Korea as well, and he is talkative. He told a lot of interesting habits that I always felt curious from his country. I really enjoy the whole interview because we both talk each other like old friends.  


 b)    How did I conduct and record the interview?
     

            Before I went there on time, I bought some snacks from Café shop. It should make interviewee feel relax like staying home. Then, we find a good place without noisy for carrying out the interview in library. Firstly, I gave him a list of questions for preview. In my opinion, preview for the questions is really possible because it makes interviewee feel concrete and exercisable for the following interview. I also asked him “Are there some questions that cannot be asked in this list of questions”? He told me he felt enjoyable and relaxed about the interview. Secondly, I started from some simple and random questions. I thought this should make interviewee feel comfortable. Thirdly, I also used my cell phone to record the entire interview. I didn’t spend much time on transcribe notes because I don’t want the interviewee to wait for me. I just write down some key words.


c)    Whom did I interview?

          
              Park, Junhyeon, male, he is from Seoul, South Korea. He was born on March 30, 1988. There are four members in his family. He knows Korean, American English. He has been St. Cloud two months ago. Ping pong is his favorite sport. From my viewpoint, I think that he really likes children because he posts a lot of pictures about cute children on face book. He also likes travel, and he told me he went to Arizona during Spring Break.
Above is Park Junhyeon travel in Arizona

Country Report
       
               During the whole interview, I noticed that Junhyeon can recognize the meaning of national flag. He told me a lot about his country’s military and political reason with North Korea. These are exactly what I am always curious and what I want to know.  I already compared those three interviews that I have made, so I got some similarities and some interesting aspects of Korea cultures that I have noticed.


Below is my conclusion from the three interviews:
1. Wedding cultures from Korea

This is a real style of traditonal wedding in South Korea

         
                In my opinion, wedding culture is one of the most important cultures in Korea. It's really special and different from other countries. Almost each interviewee told me the specific aspects in Wedding cultures. For example, If a person want to get married in Korea, for man, his age might be around 30 year old, for woman, his age might be around 28 year old. A man over 18 and a woman over 16 years old may marry with their parents' or guardians' consent, and a person over 20 may marry freely. In ancient times, bride and bridegroom need wear luxurious and traditional costumes. The groom's family need give gifts for bride's family. Wedding duck is a symbol for a long and happy marriage, so it must be prepare in South Korea. During the wedding, some people might prepare a traditional dancing that is called Fans dance. This is a most interesting part in the whole wedding ceremony. My second interviewee gave me a picture from her face book. These people are made by clay, and this is a typical clothes in traditional wedding.
 
This picture is from my interviewee's facebook, These two people are made by clay. Those clothes that they wear are typical in wedding.


Additional, not every person chooses the traditional wedding when they get married, in contemporary social; some people prefer the western style of wedding. 


2. Different ages lead to people who have different address by someone.
           In South Korea, this is a interesting phenomenon. My third interviewee told me that the biggest difference is address to the person who depends on his/her age. If you are not the same age with other people, you cannot call her or him the first name in Korea. He described this habitat like a respection to others. He also told me specifc details about how to distinguish the different address. This is what I want to learn and what always make me curious because I saw this phenomenon from Korea drama series. He taught me that younger brother address older sister by “Nu-na”, younger sister address older sister by “O-ni”, younger sister address older brother by “Oba”, younger brother address older brother by “hyeon”. I posted these on my blog because I thought it might be useful for you in learing Korea cultures.




3. Kimichi is the most popular food in South Korea.

This picture also from my second interviewee's facebook. These two old people are excited about the Kimichi which are made by themselves. She also described that Kimichi is really good for health, and it's very delicious.

            Early kimchi dishes were relatively mild, spiced with fermented anchovies, ginger, garlic, and green onions. Koreans still use these ingredients today, but the spice most closely associated with modern kimchi is red pepper powder. Korea boasts more than two hundred types of kimchi, all rich in vitamins, minerals, and proteins created by the lactic acid fermentation of cabbage, radish, and other vegetables and seafood. I found some material that you need prepare when you want to make Kimichi. 
  • 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 lbs. Chinese (Napa) cabbage, cut into 2-inch squares
  • 6 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths, then slivered
  • 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 1 cup of minced garlic
  • 3 tablespoons of brine shrimp sauce or anchovy fish sauce(available Korean specialty stores)
  • 1/4 cup of Korean ground dried hot pepper (or other mildly hot ground red pepper)
  • 1 cup of shredded Korean radish (moo in Korean)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
Specific step to make Kimichi: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Kimchi Visited 04/03/2011




4. Every man must service the military in South Korea.
            
           
              From my transcription of the third interview, Junhyeon told me that he already serviced the military about two years in Korea. Almost every day, they need get up at early morning and do exercise about shoting guns till 6:00 p.m. It's a hard work. They also need wear uniforms and live in dorm when serving the military. However, actually he lived in his house instead of in military, so some friends told him that he was not such a true soldier. He said "We can decide what age I want to go. Actually, there are three ways that you can service there. The first is service the military. It’s a general way. The second is work in government office or any public transportation. The third is nothing to do. We cannot choose which way we want to get in. The department distributes us to different parts. If you are very healthy, you will be selected to service the military. If you have trouble to service the military, you have to go to the second way. For example, if someone has very low eyesight, he or she might go to work in office. The disabilities should be selected to the third way, and they don’t need do anything. Before we entered the service, we will be checked our bodies. There are seven grades to be rate. From1 to 3 should be considered to service the military. From 4 to 6 should be considered to work in government office. 7 should be considered to do nothing."
Those soldiers are fighting with enemys from North Korea





5. Entertainments in South Korea

Clubs in South Korea
      

             There are amounts of entertainments for every age of people in Korea, such as drinking in clubs, watching soccer games, and watching drama series. No matter what age they are, and no matter what sex they are, if someone in Korea, he or she is probably find the most interesting thing for fun. For example, they can go to clubs during the weekends because Korean really like drinking and they are good at drinking. I know many Korea girls in this school who are good at drinking. Almost, they never drank during party times. Frankly speaking, Korea drama series is really popular in Korea, even in other Asian countries. Most popular Korean dramas have also become popular in other parts of the world such as Latin America, the Middle East, and elsewhere. Most other Korean dramas popular throughout Asia or beyond are either romances. Additional, Korean like watching soccer games together. It represents a spirit in South Korea. It is also supported by many fans in Korea because Korea Republic is the most successful Asian football team in the history of the FIFA World Cup. Korean is proud of soccer games.  
 
Fans are supporing Korean team.



Blow are materials which are copied from various website:

  • Geography:
          
              South Korea occupies the southern portion of the Korean Peninsula, which extends some 680 miles (1,100 km) from the Asian mainland. This mountainous peninsula is flanked by the Yellow Sea to the west and Sea of Japan (East Sea) to the east. Its southern tip lies on the Korea Strait and the East China Sea. The country, including all its islands, lies between latitudes 33° and 39°N, and longitudes 124° and 130°E. Its total area is 38,622.57 square miles (100,032.00 km2).  South Korea's terrain is mostly mountainous, most of which is not arable. Lowlands, located primarily in the west and southeast, make up only 30% of the total land area.
1. Seoul (Special City) 2. Busan 3. Daegu 4. Incheon 5. Gwangju 6. Daejeon 7.Ulsan 8. Gyeonggi-do 9. Gangwon-do 10. Chungcheongbuk-do(Northern Chungcheong)11. Chungcheongnam-do(Southern Chungcheong) 12. Jeollabuk (Northern Jeolla) 13. Jeollanam (Southern Jeolla) 14. Gyeongsangbuk-do(Northern Gyeongsang) 15. Gyeongsangnam-do(Southern Gyeongsang) 16. Jeju-teukbyeoljachido(Jeju-do)

  • Climate:
         
                South Korea has four distinct seasons; spring, summer, autumn and winter. Spring usually lasts from late-March to early- May, summer from mid-May to early-September, autumn from mid-September to early-November, and winter from mid-November to mid-March. In Seoul, the average January temperature range is −7 °C to 1 °C (19 °F to 33 °F), and the average August temperature range is 22 °C to 30 °C (71 °F to 86 °F). Winter temperatures are higher along the southern coast and considerably lower in the mountainous interior. Summer can be uncomfortably hot and humid, with temperatures exceeding 30 °C in most parts of the country.


  • Economy:
        
            South Korea has a market economy which ranks 14th in the world by nominal GDP and 12th by purchasing power parity (PPP), identifying it as one of the G-20 major economies. It is a high-income developed country and is a member of OECD. South Korea is one of the Asian Tigers, and is the only developed country so far to have been included in the group of Next Eleven countries. South Korea had one of the world's fastest growing economies from the early 1960s to the late 1990s, and South Korea is still one of the fastest growing developed countries in the 2000s, along with Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan, the other three members of Asian Tigers. South Koreans refer to this growth as the Miracle on the Han River. The South Korean economy is heavily dependent on international trade, and in 2010, South Korea was the sixth largest exporter and tenth largest importer in the world.


  • Government:
     
           Like many democracies, South Korea's government is divided into three branches: executive, judicial, and legislative. The executive and legislative branches operate primarily at the national level, although various ministries in the executive branch also carry out local functions. Local governments are semi-autonomous, and contain executive and legislative bodies of their own. The judicial branch operates at both the national and local levels. South Korea is a constitutional democracy. Lee Myung-bak is a president of South Korea. The government type is republic. The national holiday is Liberation Day, 15 August (1945). “The nationality flag of Korea, the blue section represents the negative cosmic forces of the yin, while the red symbolizes the opposite positive forces of the yang; each trigram (kwae) denotes one of the four universal elements, which together express the principle of movement and harmony.”


  • Culture: 
          
              Korean cuisine, hanguk yori (한국요리; 韓國料理), or hansik (한식; 韓食), has evolved through centuries of social and political change. Ingredients and dishes vary by province. There are many significant regional dishes that have proliferated in different variations across the country in the present day. The Korean royal court cuisine once brought all of the unique regional specialties together for the royal family. Meals consumed both by the royal family and ordinary Korean citizens have been regulated by a unique culture of etiquette.
Korean cuisine is largely based on rice, noodles, tofu, vegetables, fish and meats. Traditional Korean meals are noted for the number of side dishes, banchan (
반찬), which accompany steam-cooked short-grain rice. Every meal is accompanied by numerous banchan. Kimchi, a fermented, usually spicy vegetable dish is commonly served at every meal and is one of the best known Korean dishes. Korean cuisine usually involves heavy seasoning with sesame oil, doenjang (된장), a type of fermented soybean past, soy sauce, salt, garlic, ginger, and gochujang (고추장), a hot pepper paste.
Soups are also a common part of a Korean meal and are served as part of the main course rather than at the beginning or the end of the meal. Soups known as guk (
) are often made with meats, shellfish and vegetables. Similar to guk, tang () has less water, and is more often served in restaurants. Another type is jjigae (찌개), a stew that is typically heavily seasoned with chili pepper and served boiling hot.




Below is my transcription of entire interview:

Me: Hi, my name is Susan. I appreciate that you accept this interview. Actually this is my second interview. Before I have interviewed a girl whose name is Sung. Do you know her? She is also from South Korea.
Jun: Oh, you know her?! lol.. She thought that I was a bad guy, but I am not. Just kidding. We are good friends.
Me: lol. You look a nice guy, I hope I guess correctly. Could you introduce yourself?
Jun: I’m Junhyeon, and from Korea. I’m here for help you with the interview. I will help you to know more about Korea.
Me: Thank you. Park is your family name, right? Piao Jun Xuan is your Chinese name?
Jun: right, but Piao Jun Xuan is my Korea name. Each Korean can write their name in Chinese.
Me: When you start to learn Chinese?
Jun: um.. I don’t know Chinese actually. In Korea, people almost learn Chinese character when they are young, but not Chinese language. It all depends on different person.
Me: My friend from Korea told me they started to learn Chinese when they were in elementary school. How long have you been here?
Jun: About two months.
Me: How do you think the weather here? Is it colder than the weather of your country?
Jun: Not very cold. Because Seoul is the capital of Korea, which I live in Korea, it’s also cold in winter. However, it’s not very much, compare to here.
Me: Where are your parents live? Are there in Korea?
Jun: Yeah yeah sure.
Me: How many people are there in your family?
Jun: Four, my parents, my older brother, and me.
Me: Do you have any cousin?
Jun: Of course, you wanna know?
Me: if you want, you can introduce them to me.
Jun: Lol.. One by one?
Me: Do you have many cousins?
Jun: Yeah, I can’t count because there are many sisters and brothers for my mother and father. I have a lot uncle and aunts.
Me: Lol, same as me. Do you have any relatives here?
Jun: No, I came single to here.
Me: Why did you decide to come to SCSU instead of studying or working in your own country?
Jun: It’s very simple because this university is connected to my university in Korea. I am an exchange student.
Me: How do you think the life here? Is it more interesting than Korea?
Jun: Actually, yes, I think. I like the life here because I have a lot of friends, and I can meet them anywhere on campus.
Me: What’s the name of your university in Korea?
Jun: Catholic University of Korea, but I don’t have any religion.
Me: I know many Korean are Christian. Is that true?
Jun: Actually, People almost have no religion in Korea.
Me: Do you miss the food in Korea?
Jun: Oh! Yes! Of course yes! I like the food in America, but I still prefer the food in my own country. My mother can cook very delicious meal, so I miss my mother’s cuisine.
Me: How do you contact with your family?
Jun: I use Skype to talk with them two times or three times a week.
Me: What are you studying right now?
Jun: Now I am studying in level 5. The life in IEC is so boring.
Me: Due to the teaching? Before I was studying in IEC, do you know Rohda?
Jun: yeah, she is a kind teacher, and she is not that strict.
Me: Ok, what is your opinion of the American diet?
Jun: Compare to different kinds of fast food, I prefer Garvey. I don’t like eating hamburgers or pizzas. I like eating in Garvey because I only eat salad and some other healthy food. The reason that I prefer Garvey is I can meet many friends there. Additional, I can’t eat fast food and fried food because I have skin trouble. When I eat fast food, I will feel inching of my skin.
Me: What’s your favorite food in Korea?
Jun: Kimichi. Today, I eat Kimichi. I bought this from my Korea friend.
Me: Same as me, lol. I like Kimichi very much, and I do learn how to make that. Do you know how to make that?
Jun: No, I don’t know
Me: Do you have favorite food in U.S?
Jun: Salad. Haha.^ ^ I like everything actually except fast food.
Me: Ok. Lol… Come with me, and go to eat some fast food. Just kidding.
Jun: lol..
Me: How does the climate in your home country compare to here?
Jun: It’s good. We have four seasons. In winter, it’s very cold but not that cold. The weather in winter is warmer than here. In summer, it’s very hot but not very hot. In my own country, we never have such a big snowstorm. It’s doesn’t last a long time like the snow here. It’s very different.
Me: What are some cultural differences between your country and here?
Jun: First, we don’t have many typical cultural differences in Korea. Second, the biggest difference is address to the person who depends on his/her age. If you are not the same age with other people, you cannot call her or him the first name in Korea.
Me: Is that a kind of respect between people?
Jun: Yes, it’s a kind of respect.
Me: I saw many dramas from Korea. Each girl addresses older brother or boyfriend “Oba”.
Jun: Yeah, you are right! That is what I want to say. There are some others, “Nu-na”, “O-ni” “Oba”.
Jun: Younger brother address older sister by “Nu-na”, younger sister address older sister by “O-ni”, younger sister address older brother by “Oba”, younger brother address older brother by “hyeon”.
Me: “Hyeon” (Repeat by him)
Jun: lol..
Me: These are interesting. You help me to recognize the different address to different age of people, before I always feel confused about that. Thanks! I like watching Korea drama, do you know a name of Korea drama “my princess”. I like the actor in this drama.
Jun: Yeah, Song cheong hang? He is handsome and famous.
Me: lol.. Yes. I liked him.
Jun: You know it? He is too short.
Me: Oh really, a little pity. T_T
Me: You live in Seoul, right? Can you introduce more about your city?
Jun: My city is Seoul, and it’s a capital of Korea. It’s different from other cities in my own country. There is a large population in Seoul and around Seoul. It’s almost 40% people who live in Seoul or around Seoul, so it often cause traffic jam every morning around 8 a.m. Many people go to office or go to school by transportations; there are many people by subway or by bus at that time. It’s very busy but our transportation system is very convenient. If you don’t drive a car, you still can go to the office on time.
Me: Wow, it’s wonderful.
Me: I have a question that I really want to ask Korean. I am curious about your country and North Korea. After the division of the two parts, Can you still go to North Korea by travel?
Jun: Of course not. We cannot go to North Korea. You know, actually, everyone cannot go to North Korea. If you want to travel in North Korea, you cannot achieve permission. If you have any special purpose, like as you are a doctor and you want to help the people there, you might be able to go to there.
Me: What’s the life in North Korea?
Jun: Can you imagine the life that people starving to death?
Me: yes, I know. They are live in a really bad condition.
Jun: They are.
Me: I think the government of North Korea should interact with other countries because they need export and import for preventing starves to death.
Jun: Yes, they are. You know? Chinese government helps them, and supports them. However, the North Korea government doesn’t give back enough money to help their citizens. When my government gives some food to North Korea government, they accept but they still hate us.
Me: I know there are some problems between South Korea and North Korea from news.
Jun: There are a lot of poor people living there, and some people stave to death. It’s very cruel.
Me: What’s your major language?
Jun: Korean.
Me: What age when you start to learn English?
Jun: lol, English is very challenge for me. Korean started to learn English when they were around 7-11 year-old. It’s very early. You know, I am not good at speaking English because our educational problem. We just learn writing, reading and grammar. We don’t have an actual condition to speak English. Like you, I mean many Asian countries encounter the same problem.
Me: I know a news from your country. Every boy need to service the military when they are grow up in Korea. Is that true?
Jun: We can decide what age I want to go. Actually, there are three ways that you can service there. The first is service the military. It’s a general way. The second is work in government office or any public transportation. The third is nothing to do. We cannot choose which way we want to get in. The department distributes us to different parts. If you are very healthy, you will be selected to service the military. If you have trouble to service the military, you have to go to the second way. For example, if someone has very low eyesight, he or she might go to work in office. The disabilities should be selected to the third way, and they don’t need do anything. Before we entered the service, we will be checked our bodies. There are seven grades to be rate. From1 to 3 should be considered to service the military. From 4 to 6 should be considered to work in government office. 7 should be considered to do nothing.
Me: All right, thanks for you, I can understand clearly with your drawing. You already service the military?
Jun: Yes, I service the military two years.
Me: What did you do in military?
Jun: I wore the military suit and shot the guns, but I don’t lived there. I lived in my house, so every friend told me that I was not a true solider. I just worked there in the morning, after finished it about 6p.m., I came back to my house. Lol..
Me: Almost solider lived in military?
Jun: Yeah, of course. Sometime we got vocation, and we can go back home.
Me: At what age do men and women spend private time and at what age do they consider marriage?
Jun: It’s doesn’t matter. We can see each other in elementary school or high school. About marriage, for men, about 30 year old, and for women, about 27 year old.
Me: All right, what are your personal experiences with racism since coming to the U.S?
Jun: Yes, I experienced once. I was eating with my American friends in Garvey. One girl joined us, but she ignored me and just chatting with my friends. When I said something, she even didn’t see me.
Me: That’s really impolite. Recently, have you seen a video entitled “Asians in the library” on YouTube? It was about a White girl from UCLA who said some impolite words to Asian students.
Jun: Oh really? It should be disgrace for the girl. I think it doesn’t make sense, and just make people feel stupid. Asian countries are very strong. We can gather together.
Me: Yeah.
Me: What were your preconceptions about U.S. before coming here and how have they changed?
Jun: They greet to each other that is really different and interesting after I came here. When I arrived here first in St. Paul Airport, some people who I didn’t know, they just say hello to me. They are very friendly. Actually, the first time I be here is very hard for me. Before I came here, I reserved a van for me. However, I asked the people who told me the van has been cancelled. I don’t know what I can do in that moment because my English is not very well.
Me: Ok, that’s really a hard time. If you could visit any place in the U.S., where would it be? Why?
Jun: I went to Arizona during Spring Break. It was very fun, and I do enjoy the trip. It’s very meaningful because we can help many poor people from Indiana. We played with kids. It’s a really important experience. There were a lot of American friends with us to be there.
Me: Oh nice! That’s a good thing.
Me: Did you face any language barriers? How to solve it?
Jun: Yeah, of course. Time to solve this. I still have hard time to communicate with American friends, but time and my effort will solve this problem.
Me: What is the most interesting thing you have experienced during your time studying at SCSU?
Jun: Meeting friends who are from Mongolia. You know Mongolian? They are American, but their ancient are Asian. Two days ago, we had a party, and I hanged out with Mongolian. They told me like “you are like a member of my family”. When I heard that, I felt excited. They are very nice
Me: How many countries have you visited?
Jun: This is the first one.
Me: Ok, have you been to my country?
Jun: Yes, I will go to China next January. After I go back Korea, I will go to China with my Chinese friends in Korea. I have some Chinese friends in Korea. They are study abroad in Korea, so I will go to ShangHai and Beijing.
Me: Ok, what is your dream job and which state would you like the job to be in?
Jun: My dream job is international trader. In Korea, we have international trade major, but here it isn’t. So I will take international business.
Me: So will you stay here to learn this major?
Jun: No, I will go back. I will learn the trade between Russia, China and Korea.
Me: Why you want choose Russia?
Jun: You know, there are abundant resources in Russia. In Korea, there are not many people who can speak Russian. If I will go to Russia, I will be in the high position and be competitive in Korea.
Me: Thanks for accept my interview. I truly learn more knowledge about your country’s military and cultures. Thank you so much.
Jun: No problem. Lol.
Description of interview
       
             I thought this interview went very well. This person who I interviewed was very talkative. He told me a lot of specific steps to entering the military, and he let me know what is the political condition between his own country and North Korea. That is exactly that what many people want to know. He tell me everything that he already know to his country. I really enjoy this interview. We talked like old friends although this is our first time to talk each other. That’s truly interesting. I do learn a lot about Korea’s culture and educations. This make me feel impressed. As I am an international student, when we talked some question, I also felt we have understandable similarities. Interviewee’s experience made me find some similar point. These three interviewees make me know more about many aspects of Korea. No matter what I know before or what is new for me. I think, I will share those interesting things with others by chance because I am excited that I can learn more from those people. Thanks for all:D

没有评论:

发表评论